Credit: Blaydon Races
9th June means one thing, in the Geordie calendar, the famous Blaydon Races!
Now in its 160 year, the Blaydon Race is a sell out, with over 4,700 people taking part. Runners will begin on the Newcastle Gateshead Quayside just under the Tyne Bridge, then along the river, to Newcastle Business Park, to Scotswood Road. Those taking part will then head towards Metrocentre, to Blaydon and eventually they will finish at the playing field on Shibdon Road.
The race will kick off with The Lord Mayor of Newcastle, Karen Robinson, helping at 7.15pm.
Gateshead and Newcastle Councils have both issued road closure information.
Gateshead - 6pm-9.30pm
- Bridge Street
- Bottle Bank
- A695 Blaydon Highway
- Tundry Way
- Chainbridge Road
Newcastle - 6.15pm-9.15pm
- B1600 – between junctions of City Road and Quayside
- Quayside – between junctions of Milk Market and Sandhill
- Javel Groupe
- Forth Banks – from junction with Skinnerburn Road in a north westerly direction for a distance of 60 metres
- Scotswood Road (westbound) – between junctions Plummer Street and William Armstrong Drive
- Scotswood Road (both directions) – from junctions William Armstrong Drive and Scotswood Bridge
- Whitehouse Road – from junction Scotswood Road in a northerly direction for a distance of 40 metres
- Skinnerburn Road
- Shot Factory Lane
- Water Street – from its junction with Skinnerburn Road in a northerly direction for a distance of 20 metres
- Monarch Road
- William Armstrong Drive
Listen to Radio Gateshead by clicking here.