”This is a moment for utmost caution”, says Boris Johnson at this evening’s press conference.
- Plan B restrictions to say in place, in England, says Prime Minister
- More than 200,000 new Covid cases in one day (figures 218,724 are due to a backlog from Wales / Northern Ireland from New Year
- Cases expected to rise, says Prof Chris Whitty
- Johnson also states that there is a huge level of immunity, despite increase in cases
- Essential workers will be able to recieve daily tests (for those working in areas such as food processing). 100,000 workers will recieve lateral flow tests in certain sectors.
- Johnson also states 90% of those in hospital are unvaccinated
- 200 million slots available to get boosted this week – the Prime Minister is encouraging people to get boosted if they have not already
- 1 in 25 people had Covid just before Christmas, in England
- Sir Keir Starmer has told the government that schools could stay open if more children were vaccinated in the festive period
- Difficult periods to come for NHS – says Boris Johnson and adds that ‘we will get through it as best we can’
- Follow the guidance and get jabbed, says Boris
- People will be given ‘plenty of time’ to get jabbed before any idea of vaccine proof changes
Radio Gateshead broadcasts online 24/7 for the people of Gateshead, and around the world!