Published Wednesday, 29th September 2021
By James Cowen
Many local residents across Newcastle and Gateshead have shared their thoughts on the current state of the Tyne Bridge, with many saying it is simply 'rusting away'.
It comes after the iconic Tyne Bridge, opened in 1928, was shown across the nation on television as part of the Great North Run coverage.
A bid of 19 million pounds has been submitted to central government to restore the bridge.
Gateshead Council are urgently asking the government to accept the bid. Council leader Martin Gannon said in a statement:
"I saw a lot of comments on Facebook over the weekend with people saying what a fabulous run it was, but what a mess and a disgrace the bridge has become.
"We have put bids in and we are urging the government to come up with the funding to bring it back to its former glory."
Across the Tyne, in June, Newcastle City Council leader Nick Forbes said:
"The bridge requires a major overhaul that will require a level of funding way beyond what the city can provide. National investment is vital, and we continue to work with government to make progress and bring this structure back to its former glory."
Newcastle City Council previously asked the government for a central bid of 18 million pounds to give the bridge its first maintenance in over 20 years. The result for the bid will be decided around Autumn time of this year.